Sunday, September 16, 2012

Can I get that in Writing?


Keeping a food journal isn't a punishment, but an important tool for discovering your true relationship with the food you eat.  Are you an emotional eater?  Is your snacking the problem?  Every little bite during the day counts and it's near impossible to track your calories in and out if you don't keep a food and exercise journal.  It can help you discover what triggers a migraine headache if you are prone to them.  It can also assist you in discovering if you are carb sensitive (if you eat a carbohydrate rich food and your hunger comes back almost immediately) and thereby tell you what carbohydrates you need to carefully moderate.  Maybe you need to track your sodium intake due to high blood pressure?  Or do you have high cholesterol?  Maybe you suffer from PCOS [Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome] (watching your carbs and loosing weight are very important here).  Food journaling can  help as it gives an accurate picture of just what you're eating.

How to get started?  It's not as hard as you think.  I keep a small composition notebook with me at all time to log my daily entries.  I log workouts (which one, duration and time I did it, also how I liked the workout), meals, snacks and the times I eat.  I also log emotions, any obstacles or victories (big or small).  How did I feel?  Good, bad, something hurting?   What did I weigh in my weekly check-in?  What are my measurements saying that the scale can not?  This helps me establish patterns.  Then I use  MyFitnessPal.com to calculate my calories in and out for the day and connect with others to give and receive motivation and support.  It's free, it takes into account my activity level and my current weight to calculate my caloric needs for the day.  I can even track my water intake there. Did you get all 8 of those 8 ounce glasses in today?  The calorie counter there will quickly help you see which food choices are better than others.  That great comfort food supper I've been craving may require me to workout a little longer and eat lighter earlier in the day.

Read more about food journaling here.

Have PCOS?  Need more help with a diet tailored to insulin resistance?  Just need more information on PCOS?  We can help, go HERE to read more.

More Questions?  A little shy about asking them here?  No worries.  Find the fitter Fitter and LIKE us on facebook.  Friend me and private message me. I'm here for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment