Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Recipe Wednesday - Cauliflower "Mock Mashed Potatoes"

Recipe Wednesday means I bring you a great recipe to consider for your collection.  My intention is to bring you delicious recipes featuring better food choices.  Let's face it, if it doesn't taste good, you won't eat it no matter how good it is for you.  Today's feature is cauliflower mock mashed potatoes.
This is quick and easy, low carb and puts a delicious twist on what you can do with cauliflower.  Some people are seeking low carb alternatives to mashed potatoes, others another idea for what you can do with a cauliflower, others seeking do disguise vegetables so the kids will eat them.  My husband was a skeptic the first time I made these, now he requests them!

Start with one head of cauliflower.  Break into flouretes and steam until soft (aprox. 6 minutes).  I add a few pinches of salt to the few tablespoons of water I use to steam the cauliflower.

Once the cauliflower is cooked, drain and mash.  You can use a hand masher, a stick blender or a food processor.  Mash to your hearts content, and the desired consistency.  While mashing add the remainder of the ingredients, I've given some options below.

Option 1
1 tablespoon cream cheese (or neufchatel cheese)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon chicken boullion
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon chives (for garnish or to mix in)
      (I've also used green onions instead of chives)

Option 2
2-4 tablespoons half and half 
2 wedges of laughing cow garlic and herb cheese spread
   (or garden vegetable flavor cream cheese)

Again, salt to taste, though I find that if I salt the water I steam the cauliflower in, it is salty enough.

Bottom line is that these are a quick and easy alternative to mashed potatoes, or a great addition next to them on the plate.  Try them and don't be afraid to tweak the recipe, trying new combinations of the above.  The best cooks learn to use what they have on hand to create delicous, well balanced meals.  These have become a new staple and quick go-to in my kitchen.

Enjoy!

You May also enjoy:
Lemon Broccoli with Garlic

Cheesy Hashbrowns get a makeover

Pumpkin Cookies

Be sure to try typing "recipe" into the search bar of this website to see what other delicous recipes I've found!

No comments:

Post a Comment